9:00 - 0 Meilen / 0 - 9:00
Historical Lisbon Originally part of Norwich, Lisbon was named as a district in 1718, although at the time it was known as Newent. The center of town is still known as Newent, but Lisbon became the town name in 1786 when resident merchants, Hezekiah and Jabez Perkins, began to
trade with Lisbon, Portugal.
Bishop House Museum Today, Lisbon is home to several historical buildings. Among these is the Bishop House Museum, which was built in 1810. It features a combination of colonial and federal architectural styles with an indoor well and attic smoke chamber.
Newent Congregational Church Built in 1858, this Greek Revival building was the third for the congregation. The steeple was built in the early 1900s, but it houses a bell that was cast in 1820.
9:00 - 7.6 Meilen / 15 Minuten - 9:15
This cemetery was formerly the Old Church Burying Ground. Moses Cleaveland, the founder of Cleveland, is buried here.
10:15 - 6.3 Meilen / 12 Minuten - 10:27
Pulpit Rock Road Marker
The last stop on this tour, the Pulpit Rock Road Marker is a memorial to the original settlers in this part -- the "Thirteen Goers." Read from the bronze plaque about the site where the "Thirteen Goers" held their religious services when they first arrived in 1686.
11:27 - 7.3 Meilen / 14 Minuten - 11:42
The Mashamoquet Purchase Pomfret was settled during the earliest times of colonization in the New England area. As a result, the Pomfret that visitors find today features several historic buildings and churches. The town began as the "Mashamoquet Purchase" in 1686 and was incorporated in
Walking Trails In addition to the historical sites of Pomfret, visitors will find
walking trails to satisfy an appetite for the outdoors. The
Connecticut Audobon-Pomfret Farms offer five miles of trails
through a 280-acre preserve. The Air Line Trail includes 12 miles
of walking trails along the old railroad bed.
Historic Places Among the many sites of Pomfret, some of the following are listed
with a bit of history.
Pomfret offers many points of interest for travelers who want to see the evolution of colonial Connecticut.
11:42 - 4.0 Meilen / 8 Minuten - 11:50
When Woodstock was originally settled, it was known as New Roxbury. A group of men known as the "Thirteen Goers" came from Massachusetts as a religious congregation to begin a new settlement. Much of the architecture and many sites in the area can be attributed to them. Woodstock is a perfect example of a typical New England hilltop village, complete with early meeting house, graveyard, academy building, and several houses dating from Revolutionary times. Orchards are in bloom during the spring, but visitors will be able to enjoy the picturesque New England scenery year-round.
The area surrounding Woodstock has a number of historic attractions worth seeing.
11:50 - 5.6 Meilen / 11 Minuten - 12:01
Connecticut State Route 169 - end